very old photo of armagh county museum

In 1856 members of the Philosophical Society moved from their premises on Abbey Street, to what was originally a school house on the Mall. They created a reading room and continued to expand their museum, displaying a collection of objects gathered both locally and from further afield.

 

We hope that this is but the beginning of something beneficial and instructive to the different classes of society, and we really do not know why Armagh should not even surpass many other towns in the north of Ireland in supporting a Museum .. useful to the city and neighbourhood.

Armagh Guardian 24 March 1846

 

This extract, from a local newspaper, refers to the establishment of a small museum belonging to the Armagh Natural History and Philosophical Society.

 

When Armagh County Museum took over the building and opened to the public in 1937, it inherited the Society’s collection and became the first county museum in Ireland. The Society still retains a reading room in the front of the Museum and holds regular events.

 

If you are interested in becoming a member of the Society or require more information, please contact:

 

The Society’s House

c/o Armagh County Museum

The Mall East

Armagh

BT61 9BE